Bravery

>> Thursday, November 10, 2011

November started off with some events that challenged two members of our family to be extra brave.


First, John tried out and was chosen to have a speaking part at the Veteran's Day celebration at school.  This is out of his comfort zone, so we were really excited about his efforts.  His speaking part was in front of the entire school.



The presentation at school provided an opportunity for the kids to submit photos of family members that have or are presently serving our Country.  We submitted the following photos which were shown during the presentation of Erik's dad (Navy), my dad (Army), my grandfather (Army), and our cousin (currently serving in the Coast Guard).  Thank you to all that have served to protect our Country!  Happy Veteran's Day.


Grandpa Erik

Grandpa Karl

Great Grandpa Joesph Johnston


Cousin Brian




In celebration of John's accomplishment we decided to have a family celebration that included a sleepover for John with two of his friends.  This is the very first time he has hosted a sleepover and we thought this would be a pretty exciting way to acknowledge John's efforts. 


About 30 minutes before the slumber party guests were  to arrive, Sally came in from the garage where she had been playing hide and seek saying she had bumped her head and it really hurt.  I talked to her for a minute and said I thought it was probably OK (she wasn't crying or anything) and then I said, let me take a look.  As she turned to show me the back of her head I noticed that her hair was all wet, uh oh.... not a good sign.  I reached up, warm and sticky- really not a good sign.  In to the bathroom we head where multiple paper towels soak through.  This looks like we may need a doctor's assistance.


Off to the emergency room I go with Sally while the boys and B await the slumber party guests. 


At the emergency room Sally gets to pick out a beanie baby of her choice to take home.  She chose "glory" a white bear covered in red and navy stars and boasting an American flag.  She chose to rename it Star or Stary or maybe it was Starflag (it changed as the evening went along).  I think this was the perfect bear to pick with Veteran's Day tomorrow- the bear will help us to remember when this event occurred.


Sally was so brave while the cleaned, numbed and stapled the cut on the back of her head.  Not one tear shed and quite frankly, it appeared painful to me while I watched them do it. She wanted a photo of the staple since she couldn't see it (for those faint of heart, I won't post it here).  Then, they wrapped her head in a massive headband.  I'm not sure it was necessary but she thought it was fabulous and asked me to take a photo so she could see how it looked since there wasn't a mirror.



It has been about 4 hours now and though she seems to be doing fine, I'm sure that numbing agent will soon wear off and it is going to be a little tender and sore. Perhaps a little over the counter product will help her sleep comfortably tonight. 


At current, she has spread out her sleeping bag next to the boy's while they watch the movie National Treasure.  She'll be heading to her own sleeping area soon.  One of John's friends came to me and wanted to make sure she wasn't going to be sleeping by them all night, because "you know Mrs. Erichsen, we might be talking about- well not inappropriate things, but just things that a Kindergartner shouldn't hear."  I hope they aren't planning to talk too late into the night.  This Mama is exhausted from all the excitement of the past week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP