Day 8: Highway 1

>> Monday, July 4, 2011

We left Tracy this morning and headed back in the direction of San Francisco to catch Highway 101 south.  Our plan was to then head over to Highway 1 and take what National Geographic calls "A Drive of a Lifetime".  Traffic was really heavy (one might say things were backing up just outside of Prunedale, CA- roadtrip humor) and so we ended up going south through Salinas.  Evidently there is a John Steinbeck Museum and cultural center in Salinas, but since we hadn't planned to go that way we didn't know that until after the fact. :(

We caught Highway 1 just south of Salinas.  I was the driver and those that know me know that I have issues with motion sickness.  I would like to offer up some new names to this beautiful stretch of road in California:  The Puke Parkway, The Hurl Highway, Vomit View Road , Sour Stomach Street and a few others I came up with along the way.  Although I didn't actually get sick, I wished I had.  I'm glad the view was amazing to make it worth the discomfort!



We stopped briefly at Hearst Castle.  They require reservations to actually tour the castle and the reservations were filled through Tuesday, so we just wandered in the Visitor's Center and had a snack.  Felt good to get out and stretch our legs.


We ended our day in San Luis Obispo.  From Highway 101 the town looked easy to miss on the drive through.  However, we stayed towards their downtown which was an amazing, vibrant area of their city.  The Mission (founded in 1772) is there (which we hope to get a look at this morning) and we ate at the Creekside Brewery which was fun, funky and great food and beer.



On to Santa Barbara and the fireworks tonight.

Happiest Birthday to my dear friend Holly!  I hope your day is full of amazing moments!  God has blessed me with a friend like you!  Lots of HUGS!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown July 4, 2011 at 9:26 PM  

I am the one who is blessed!! Thank you for the birthday wishes and for the incredible opportunity to join you on this journey!! Hugs:) -Holly

Tiffany July 6, 2011 at 3:31 PM  

I love San Luis Obispo! Been there twice. I second your names for Highway 1, but it is worth the upset!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP